Sunday 2 October 2011

A Start

Hello and thank you for having a look at my blog. I hope for it one day to have a complete record of my dissertation-writing process, and for it to be filled with witty, engaging and learned entries about textual criticism and translation theory. Until then, however, I can only keep you hooked with a couple of explanations.

The title of the blog 'What do you mean by sleeping? Get up!' is, of course, what the sailors say to Jonah when he has fallen asleep in the middle of a storm. I often find myself empathising with my biblical namesake, and particularly so here. I can easily see myself sleeping away the worries of this dissertation, so I thought I would constantly remind myself of my own worse habit with the title.

The picture used as the background to the blog is a slide from the journal that first produced the scrolls central to my dissertation, and is a comparison of two different scribes handwriting found in the scrolls. It was one of the few large pictures of the scrolls I could find online, and is both intellectually and aesthetically pleasing.

Sadly, there is nothing else to draw your attention to, yet! I very much hope for this to change, and for this blog to be regularly updated with at least vaguely interesting content.

Again, thank you.